Wireless Emergency Alerts
The Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) is a personalized emergency alert system designed to alert people of nearby threats or emergencies. This alert system will start being tested and used in April 2012. Additional information about CMAS is available on the FEMA website: http://www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/cmas
The service was designed so that it will not be delayed or bogged down by the kind of high call-traffic scenarios that often happen in an emergency. There will be three kinds of messages that go out over the service:
- Messages from the President (national defense)
- Imminent threats to safety or life (severe weather or public safety emergency)
- Amber Alerts (child abduction)
Note: Subscribers may opt out of all alerts except those from the President.
Only certain Thumb Cellular devices are currently CMAS-enabled. Below is the current list of phones with this capability:
- Motorola Milestone X2
- BlackBerry Bold 9930 (software version 7.1 or higher)
- BlackBerry Torch 9850 (software version 7.1 or higher)
- BlackBerry Curve 9350 (software version 7.1 or higher)
When CMAS alerts are received on your CMAS-enabled device, you will be notified in the following ways:
- The device will transmit a unique tone
- The device will vibrate with a unique cadence
- The device will display the alert without user interaction, consistent with how the device typically displays incoming phone calls and SMS messages.
How to opt out of CMAS alerts
Note: You are able to opt out of all alerts, except presidential alerts.
- In the application tray tap the Emergency Alerts icon.
- In the EMERGENCY ALERTS inbox, press the MENU key and tap SETTINGS.
- Tap RECEIVE ALERTS Uncheck those you do not want to receive. You may opt out of receiving Extreme, Severe and Amber Alerts. Presidential Alerts cannot be disabled.
- On the home screen, select the Emergency Alert Messages icon.
- Press the MENU button and select OPTIONS.
- Uncheck those you do not want to receive. You may opt out of receiving Extreme, Severe and Amber Alerts. Presidential Alerts cannot be disabled.
- CMAS alerts will not be received while on an active call
- There are currently no language translations for CMAS alerts.
- Occasionally a duplicate of a previously received alert may be presented again.
- You are unable to forward or reply to a CMAS alert message.