Wireless Emergency Alerts
The Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) is a personalized emergency alert system designed to alert people of nearby threats or emergencies. Additional information about CMAS is available on the FEMA website: Learn More
The service was designed so that it will not be delayed or bogged down by the kind of high call-traffic scenarios that often happen in an emergency. There will be three kinds of messages that go out over the service:
- Messages from the President (national defense)
- Imminent threats to safety or life (severe weather or public safety emergency)
- Amber Alerts (child abduction)
Note: Subscribers may opt out of all alerts except those from the President.
Almost all Thumb Cellular devices are currently CMAS-enabled.
When CMAS alerts are received on your CMAS-enabled device, you will be notified in the following ways:
- The device will transmit a unique tone
- The device will vibrate with a unique cadence
- The device will display the alert without user interaction, consistent with how the device typically displays incoming phone calls and SMS messages.
How to opt out of CMAS alerts
Note: You are able to opt out of all alerts, except presidential alerts.
- In the application tray tap the Emergency Alerts icon.
- In the EMERGENCY ALERTS inbox, press the MENU key and tap SETTINGS.
- Tap RECEIVE ALERTS Uncheck those you do not want to receive. You may opt out of receiving Extreme, Severe and Amber Alerts. Presidential Alerts cannot be disabled.
- On the home screen, select the Emergency Alert Messages icon.
- Press the MENU button and select OPTIONS.
- Uncheck those you do not want to receive. You may opt out of receiving Extreme, Severe and Amber Alerts. Presidential Alerts cannot be disabled.
- CMAS alerts will not be received while on an active call
- There are currently no language translations for CMAS alerts.
- Occasionally a duplicate of a previously received alert may be presented again.
- You are unable to forward or reply to a CMAS alert message.