BEGINNING SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2021, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO DIAL 10-DIGIT NUMBERS FOR LOCAL CALLS!
Why is the change necessary?
Because 988 is assigned to some customers as a working prefix, the FCC requires all service providers to make 10-digit dialing mandatory for all local calls in the entire affected Michigan area codes, 616, 810, 906, and 989.
Will I have to change my phone number?
No. One of the reasons for changing to 10-digit dialing is to avoid the need to change telephone numbers.
What will be the new dialing procedure?
To complete calls, you will need to dial the area code + telephone number, 10-digits total. Do not place a “1” in front of the area code.
What other changes may I need to make?
Reprogram contact lists and automatic dialing equipment to include the 10-digit number such as: life safety and security alarm systems, medical devices, fax machines, call forward settings, and voicemail. Also check your website, advertising materials, and personal ID/luggage tags, etc. to see if they need to be updated as well.
Who should I contact with questions about 10-digit dialing?
Contact THUMB CELLULAR during regular business hours by:
- online chat at thumbcellular.com;
- calling 800-443-5057 to speak with a Customer Care Representative; or
- visiting a Customer Care Center in Bad Axe, Caro, Pigeon, or Sandusky.
Additional information is available at: fcc.gov/suicide-prevention-hotline.
10-Digit Dialing Timeline
- Immediately: You should start dialing 10-digit for all calls to get in the habit of using 10-digit dialing. If you forget, your calls will be completed.
- October 24, 2021: You MUST dial 10-digits for all calls.
- July 16, 2022: Begin dialing 988 to reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Until then, dial 800-273-8255 (TALK).